Friday 20 September 2013

Feel The Rush! Viva Hysteria?

It's been a bit of a week for the cinema and it ain't over yet. About Time tomorrow apparently *Sorry Claire!*

First up was Rush with Himself and my Ma and Pa. I was very excited to see this film, not only did the trailer look fantastic it was a nostalgia trip for me.
 Basically my Dad has always been a big Formula One fan so I grew up with it, and back in the day my Mother did have just a wee bit of a thing for James Hunt.

 I was too young at the time to remember all that happened but I knew enough of the back story to thoroughly enjoy the film. Having said that Himself knew nothing of the back story at all and enjoyed it just as much,so it's not a requisite!
I think it was a given that this would be a historically accurate film, it's recent history after all, and if nothing else Niki Lauda was deeply involved from the start. Daniel Bruhl as Lauda and Chris Hemsworth as Hunt were outstanding. Both played a flawed and at times unpleasant, yet ultimately likable character, so basically you were rooting for both and wanting them both to win. This film is more about the people than the sport and as people are miles more interesting anyway it's what makes it really work. I highly recommend going to see it if you haven't already.

Last night Himself and I went to see Viva Hysteria one of those cinema screenings of a concert. On this occasion from Def Leppard's Las Vegas residency earlier in the year.
Basically it's 25 years since Hysteria was released so they were playing the album through in track order. It was entertaining enough, in that they put on a note perfect but rather clinical show. There was hardly any interaction between the audience or even themselves and unfortunately the sound wasn't the best.
 I think the most startling thing was the way they looked, to put it tactfully, time has not been kind and up close on a great cinema screen quite frankly Joey Elliott's face was bloody terrifying!

From a nostalgia point of view with the first chords of 'Animal' I found myself drifting off into memory (quite frankly anything to avoid looking at that face!)
 Seeing them play at Donington, the long hot summer, taking Jenny's younger sister (who was a huge fan) to see them at the Hammersmith Odeon.....good times. good times.

I was never a fan as such but you couldn't escape that album at the time and it did have some great songs.

Oh and in other news I sold some stuff on the bay of E and just might have bought myself a frock with the proceeds.
Goes off singing 'A wild ride, over stony ground, Such a lust for life, the circus comes to town
We are the hungry ones, on a lightning raid, Just like a river runs, like a fire needs flame
I burn for you.....

1 comment:

  1. Nice pirate frock!

    I know what you mean about rockers ageing badly... when we went to see AC/DC, Angus did a striptease and frankly ended up looking like Gollum! Better just to close your eyes and listen to the music...

    ReplyDelete