Sunday 8 October 2017

The September Spending Continues.

I knew I'd blogged to soon. Himself and I headed to Reading just at the end of the month as I was after a new pair of walking boots. Eee mind that was a saga, I did get some in the end, I'm wearing them in as they didn't have a size 6 in any of the boots I liked so I had to go for a 5 and a half.
I am a little bit in love and they are very comfortable though I wouldn't want to do 10 miles in them just yet.

Talking of boots and love I found this mad glittery ankle boots in the tale end of the summer sales,  Marked up at a bargainous £6 they rang up as £3 at the till = Result!
I couldn't resist these Halloween brooches at a £1 each in Flying Tiger.
I've also done a bit of un-blogworthy preparing for Autumn/Winter clothes shopping like new jeans, 2 jumpers, 2 breton tops and a sweatshirt. 

I went to Marks & Spencer to buy a card and came out with no card but cardigans.
As you do.
I need more cardigans like a hole in the head but both are new colours to me so they will get plenty of wear.
Actually what I really want is a lovely chocolate brown one.............

Work has eased up a little. The new class are in and we have already started the cycle of recruiting the next. The highlight for me was a drinks reception at The Natural History Museum in Oxford called imaginatively Drinks with Dinosaurs. Of course I was there for work so no camera but imagine if you will being able to wander wherever you fancy in this stunning place with a glass of prosecco in hand. There's worse jobs...... like getting up at 5.30am one day this week to be in for a working breakfast ZZzzz
Anyway I so need to go back on a free afternoon, it's been far too long since I browsed it's collections.

The new recruitment cycle also means I'll be on my travels again, I have no say in this I've just been informed of where and when. India in February, it looks like (steady now) I may actually get one whole free day in Delhi!?! I'm going to have to cram a lot in!
April will be New York again and possibly Singapore. I know this may seem glamorous but believe me there are more downsides than plus points. Bloody long flights, straight into two full days of interviewing, writing up notes and promotional evening events and maybe *maybe* one day free time if you are lucky. Also it's a time in the recruitment cycle where adding annual leave is not possible (Boo) so you get just a tantalizing few hours somewhere you would love to do tourist justice too.
Also because I am merely a lowly administrator I get to travel economy whilst those above me (yet doing exactly the same as me when they get there) travel business or better. I genuinely am not paid enough for this shit, but I digress and at least I get to drink prosecco with a stuffed dodo once a year.

Talking of feathered friends I can't keep up with feeding the blighters in my garden but oh they do give me joy. At one point there were 26 goldfinches on and around the feeders, it was an amazing sight.
This is not a goldfinch, this is That Fucking Squirrel! TM
I'm amazed he manages to get up there any more he's so damn fat.

We also have a resident cat. He's old and mangy looking and always has his tongue sticking out to one side, but oh this is quite the cunning disguise of a formidable killer.
In the day time he likes to use our garden to sleep in and feels the need to pay rent for his keep in either furry or feathered currency.
I really wish he wouldn't, especially when it's a mahosive rat at 7.00am when non morning person that I am, I am delicate and I haven't even had my first cup of tea. Himself doesn't do corpses, whereas I, having grown up with cats I see them as an occupational hazard, but even I baulk at that. On the plus side I guess if I have to have a rat in my garden a dead one will always be preferable, just not before breakfast.

They had a sale at my Dad's care home and I picked up these for a fiver.
I have spent the last few weeks stitching snowman bunting and watching from start to finish.

Now to anyone below the age of 45, Tenko will mean nothing to you but it was groundbreaking when it aired in the early 80's.
Filmed in Australia on the 40th anniversary of the events, it is based on the diaries of a British female prisoner of war under the Japanese in Singapore. It starred some of the big British TV actresses of the time and was pretty no holds barred in terms of the suffering and torture. I remember absolutely loving it at the time and have thoroughly enjoyed watching it again.
It's held up well to the passing of time, though the third (and final series) does sort of peter out towards the end and, if I'm honest, the reunion episode is an embarrassment that frankly should never have been made. I have the book on 'the making of' in my book mountain upstairs and plan to fish it out and read it next.   

Well I'm off to bed, it's been a full on housework weekend and I'm shattered! You'll be pleased to know the October spending has already commenced and it's shaping up to be a busy month socially which is lovely in lots of ways except for my waistline because if I don't stop eating soon I'm going literally burst, Mr Creosote style. Me and that damn squirrel certainly have our winter rolls in common, at least his skin expands with him my clothes do not.

Oh I also seem to inadvertently have bought some Christmas presents? Already?? 

7 comments:

  1. I can get you a recipe for squirrel fricassee if you'd like.
    Cute brooches, and nice colours on the cardigans. Glittery boots....I feel faint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those glittery boots were an essential purchase, I can see them being indespensable. Travel abroad for work is a chore, I did it last year (Halkidiki) and have no urge to do it ever again unless I get to fly business class and don't have to share a room with a complete stranger. But drinks with a dodo sounds fun! I have not bought myself anything so far in October. Let's see how long I last...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those glittery boots! What a bargain.
    Delhi at last! I hope you mange to see some of it if it all goes to plan.
    Tenko was my favourite programme in the 1980s, its been repeated on one of the Freeview channels lately but I was scared to watch in case it spoilt my memories of it.
    Bless the adopted cat and his pressies. Frank dropped a live mouse at my feet the other morning! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't get my eyes off those glittery ankle boots, at the same time eyeing up the row of handbags behind them! Bubbles at Oxford's Natural History Museum: you are making me quite envious. Travelling for work doesn't sound like fun, just hard work. They could at least give you a couple of days to explore! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those glittery boots are perfectly you. How could you not buy them?

    Work travelling always sounds glam to people who don't have the chance to do it, but I never envy my workmates who have to do it. It's a lot of time on planes and not much sleep, with the frustration of not being able to see the sights of wherever they've gone. There must be so much to do in a free day in Delhi, that'll be ace. And fizz with the dodo sounds like an excellent plan, even if it is for work.

    At least if the cat is killing rats you won't have rats, and he's leaving that [blorp]ing squirrel alone :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, congratulations on getting some Christmas presents already! I have bought one...

    We have a squirrel. OH hates him. He buries his nuts in the pots in our garden and retrieves them digging up the plants at the same time. OH wanted to shoot him with a catapult and stones but I put my foot down and said get a water pistol instead. At the moment it's a truce...

    Prosecco in the company of dinosaurs sounds good to me!

    I, too, have new walking boots - just cheapies for the time being but I need to break them in. I plan to try them out tomorrow.

    I loved your sparkly boots - what a bargain - better than charity shop prices! Your other spending sounds fun. I can't resist cardigans either especially if they have a pattern on them...

    Travelling for work does sound glam but I know it's hard work. Hope you do get a chance to have at least one free day to sight see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GLITTERY ANKLE BOOTS!!!! Wait, what, r u going to Singapore??? U glamorous bitch! Proseccooooooooo <3 <3 <3 U should visit Asheville...

    ReplyDelete